Things You Should Do After A Truck Accident
An accident with a large truck can leave you disoriented and in shock. If you can, however, you should follow the steps below to ensure you get the medical care you need and that you don’t do anything to hurt a potential lawsuit against the truck driver and other negligent parties.
When Possible, Take These Steps
- If you can, call 911.
- Stay at the scene of the accident when possible unless you have to immediately get medical care.
- If you need to move your car out of the way of other traffic, do so.
- If you are able to get out of your vehicle safely, take photos of the scene; these pictures can provide valuable evidence of what happened.
- Do not give any statements to the insurance companies without talking to a lawyer first.
- Do not admit fault for the accident.
- Cooperate with the police, but again, do not admit fault on your part.
- Ask for a copy of the police report.
- Contact a truck accident attorney as soon as possible to find out how we can help.
You should also seek medical care soon whether or not you suffer any injuries. It is important to have a record of your injuries. Even if you feel okay right now, you may have injuries that do not present immediately, such as a concussion.
Speak With Our Experienced Lawyer Today
King Law Firm, P.C., in Sioux Falls, provides representation in South Dakota and northern Iowa from an attorney with over 30 years of experience in trucking accident and injury cases. As a tough trial lawyer, he is always prepared to take a case to a jury when that is the right option for the client. As a compassionate person, he will meet with your family to make sure that everyone knows what is happening and that your family feels supported.