Collisions between tractor-trailers and passenger vehicles typically end badly for those in the smaller automobile. Some of the catastrophic injuries associated with trucking accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord damage
- Internal injuries
- Scarring or disfigurement
Sioux Falls, South Dakota residents must share the roadways with semi-trucks frequently, increasing their risk of suffering severe auto accident injuries. When you must battle big business or their insurers to get the injury compensation you deserve, it takes a dedicated approach.
Strengthening your accident claim after a truck crash
When you are injured, you may want to stay in bed for days or weeks undisturbed. Unfortunately, the more time that slips away, the more you risk getting compensation for your suffering. For best results, follow the steps below when seeking accident recompense in South Dakota. If you cannot do these things alone, have a family member or an injury lawyer work on your behalf.
- Gather evidence supporting your account of the accident. For example, take photos of the scene, your injuries and property damage to your vehicle. You should also save all correspondence and bills associated with your crash and injuries.
- Follow all orders your doctor provides, such as treatment, follow-up visits and making changes to your lifestyle. Failure to follow a physician’s orders can hurt your auto accident claim.
- Avoid discussing your accident and injuries on social media channels like Facebook and Twitter. The things you talk about online can also harm your case. For example, if you minimize your injuries or the accident, the trucker or trucking company can use this information against you.
- Do not discount the advantages an injury attorney can bring to your case. A large part of what makes attorney guidance so valuable is having an advocate deal with insurance companies and the “other side” on your behalf.
We urge you to learn more about seeking compensation for auto accidents involving semi-trucks. Our blog and website offer many informative articles to help increase your knowledge of the state’s compensation laws.